Tuesday 24 March 2009

Journeying Backwards


I was asked today where my blog name comes from. Well you can blame Tom Wright - the one who is bishop of Durham. I could say that its all about soteriology being Christocentrically rooted in eschatology but that really doesn't help! Perhaps we could say instead that Christianity makes much more sense if you read history backwards - that us Christians are people of hope and that we are orientated towards the future because that's where we will discover who God really is and who we, in consequence, are. Help, that doesn't sound much clearer either. Why don't you just read Bishop Tom - he really understands it, and so did I after I read him. It's all in Surprised by Hope, Tom Wright SPCK 2007


So ...... inspired by Tom, I'm now walking backwards (guided by the historic events of Jesus and his church) towards all the things I dare hope for because of Jesus. And as I go that hope is daily transfigured (changed and strengthened) into something more certain. You must see - that's quite exciting! Hence the blog name.

No comments:

Post a Comment