Tuesday 5 May 2009

Pain v Truth?


No, this is not a comment on tonight's match. (Although I did see pain in the faces of Arsenal fans the truth is Manchester United deserved the win!) Thousands of miles away from the championship battle another, more bloody, battle rages - in Sri Lanka. There pain is more than real.


My challenge this morning was that a Tamil friend in London contacted me and asked me to publicise the "truth of what is happening in Jaffna ... attrocities which I didn't even hear of in the holocaust". Of course I want to help, I have editorial access to a website, I can publish - but what do I publish? No one can deny the dreadful suffering of tens of thousands of civilians holed up in a tiny strip of land with vitually no food and no medical assistance - but, "worse than the holocaust"? I went to the website she asked me to look at - Tamil Net - and read the latest headline: ‘State terror’ waging ‘racist war’. If I publish that what will happen to the good relationships we have with Singhalese Sri Lankans? How much is truth which is painful, and how much is pain expressed as truth? I felt the pain but I chickened out of publishing the pain (or do I mean the truth?). My item (see Faith2Share) was the usual Christian, 'pray for the victims' stuff. But still I'm left wondering what to do with the pain. And what is more true than pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment