Thursday 25 June 2009

Life beyond Wimbledon


Do I recall there was once a war in Sri Lanka? Now that Wimbledon has started in Britain my TV, and sadly my consiousness, seem to have been taken over by tennis and the rest of life is fast disappearing into the mists of time. That was until the report arrived on my desk this morning from Bishop Kumara in Sri Lanka.


Christians are a small minority in this south Asian state, often trampled upon by their Buddhist and Hindu neighbours but when, in May, thousands fled their homes in the north of the island, poor Christian communities were determined to help - to do what Jesus would have done, to weep with the bereaved, bind up wounds, feed hungry children, and sit silently with the traumatised. Although help did eventually come from outside, Bishop Kumar, reports that at least 50% of the food and clothing distributed came from parishes and congregations within the diocese. Families gave up plates and shoes so that others could eat and walk. The suffering will go on for years in this beautiful country, just as there are still many (in the same communities) recovering from the Tsunami. Local Christians will continue to serve them long after the aid agencies leave - they will do so because that's what Jesus does.


I think Jesus would also enjoy Wimbledon, but we must not let the one eclipse the other.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, brother...well said. As I sit here on the U.S. East Coast preparing to watch Wimbledon - which I have excitedly anticipated all week - I am thankful to have my vision expanded from its narrow, selfish focus to see yet a glimpse of God's perspective. Thank you to our brothers and sisters in Sri Lanka for your witness.

    ReplyDelete