Wednesday 8 April 2009

Confused over China


Tomorrow, 9 April, as many of us around the world recall the arrest of Jesus of Nazareth and his subsequent trial before Herod, the people and Pilot, Shi Weihan (right) will face the People’s Court of Haidan District, Beijing, China. Shi is just the last of a whole chain of Christian leaders in China to find themselves in court - his crime, the printing of Christian books without government permissions. I will be praying for Shi's release (he has been in prison since March last year) while I share a 'last supper' with my friends in Cowley, but I will also be wrestling with confusion. Visiting China two years ago I began to understand how important this nation is for us all. Not only is every fifth person in the world Chinese, and their economy one of the strongest, but it is a melting pot of creative religious debate in which Christians are increasingly playing their part. As one Christian stands trial, another is advising Party officials, and a third is having a serious impact on the intellectual community in the universities. Persecution and prophetic leadership are all there, confused, and yet vibrant. The disciples were somewhat confused on that evening in Gethsemene but they were also the 'future' - the ones to be watched. China? I know which nation I'm watching, and its not the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment